Home / denise newman
- Sean WilseySean Wilsey ("Oh the Glory of It All") reads from and discusses his new collection of essays, "More Curious," which contains expanded and updated pieces that first appeared in such publications as "Vanity Fair," "GQ" and "McSweeney's," as well as several that appear for the first time.
- Lev GrossmanGrossman reads from "The Magician's Land." Says Maggie Stiefvater : "Poignant and messy, fearsome and beautiful--like a good magic spell, the final book in this trilogy is more than the sum of its parts. Also, damn. Just some of the best magic I have read, ever."
- Christina NicholChristina Nichol reads from her debut novel "Waiting for the Electricity," winner of the Rona Jaffe Foundation Writer's Award for being "big hearted, intelligent, highly comedic, bravely ambitious and brilliantly written." A youth leaves his post-Soviet town for San Francisco, the American Dream.
- Colorless Tsukuru Midnight PartyTo celebrate both the release of Haruki Murakami's new novel "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki" and the opening of a second location, Green Apple Books is throwing a party with food and beer, a Murakami trivia contest written by Murakami scholar Matthew Strecher, and a raffle for signed first editions.
- Writers With DrinksThe literary variety show spotlighting all genres and Charlie Jane Anders' incomparable ad hoc introductions this month features Sarah Ladipo Manyika ("In Dependence"), Myriam Gurba ("Wish You Were Me", and Madison Young ("Daddy: A Memoir") and guest MC Josh Kornbluth. All proceeds benefit the Center for Sex and Culture.
- Quiet Lightning: Neighborhood HeroesYiyun Li, Peter Orner, Katie Crouch, Matthew Zapruder, Norma Cole, Sarah Griffin, Lauren Traetto, Peter Bullen and Moneta Goldsmith read as part of Quiet Lightning's annual Neighborhood Heroes show. First 150 people receive a book containing the night's text, with art by Tanya Hollis.