- This event has passed.
Adam Rippon / Beautiful on the Outside
October 24 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Booksmith hosts a special event with Adam Rippon, the first openly gay U.S. male athlete to win a medal in a Winter Olympics, for his memoir Beautiful on the Outside. More to be announced soon, but please save the date and join us!
Please note: this is a ticketed event, to be held at Booksmith (1644 Haight St.) in San Francisco. Each ticket includes a presigned copy of Beautiful on the Outside. Tickets are available here.
Your mom probably told you it’s what on the inside that counts. Well, then she was never a competitive figure skater. Olympic medalist Adam Rippon has been making it pretty for the judges even when, just below the surface, everything was an absolute mess. From traveling to practices on the Greyhound bus next to ex convicts to being so poor he could only afford to eat the free apples at his gym, Rippon got through the toughest times with a smile on his face, a glint in his eye, and quip ready for anyone listening. Beautiful on the Outside looks at his journey from a homeschooled kid in Scranton, Pennsylvania, to a self-professed American sweetheart on the world stage and all the disasters and self-delusions it took to get him there. Yeah, it may be what’s on the inside that counts, but life is so much better when it’s beautiful on the outside.
Adam Rippon is an Olympic athlete and medal-winning figure skater. He won the 2010 Four Continents Championships and the 2016 U.S. National Championships and was selected to represent the United States at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. He came out as gay in October 2015 and, at the 2018 Winter Olympics, won a bronze medal as part of the figure skating team event, thus becoming the first openly gay U.S. male athlete to win a medal in a Winter Olympics. Later that year, he won season 26 of Dancing with the Stars with professional dancer Jenna Johnson. Hilarious and inspirational, Adam is absolutely beloved by his thousands of fans.
– This is an all-ages, ticketed event. Each ticket admits one person and includes a pre-signed copy of Beautiful on the Outside. No exceptions.
– The duration of this event is up to the author.
– Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.
– If you can’t attend the event but would like to request a signed copy of Beautiful on the Outside, order below and be sure to put your request in the special field.
– Adam cannot sign memorabilia. Photos will be allowed from attendees’ phones.
– Accessibility is important to us! If you have any special needs, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our absolute best to accommodate you.