- This event has passed.
STANZA: summer throwback fundraiser party
May 27 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
It’s a literary party-slash-fundraiser for STANZA–hosted by the delectable Temescal Brewery in Oakland. If you don’t like fun then you’ll at least like the beer.
The magic letter is ‘B’:
– Bake sale: brownies and bites made especially for you by a local book nerd. Perhaps even madelines if we’re feeling Proust-y.
– Bike wash: does your ride need some extra shine? We’ll wax on about Bolaño without waxing off your paint.
– Brews: Temescal Brewery is giving us proceeds from their charity brew of the day! Drink up–we can tell you’re thirsty.
– Book matchmaking: kissing booths aren’t quite our cup of espresso, but you *can* sit down with our experts and get matched with the book of your dreams. Hurry up loves, your unread lit is waiting.
– Booksigning: got unautographed books on your shelf? Gosh, we love opportunities to practice writing our own names. Bring us any book by any author: we’ll totally sign it for you.
– Borges’ Gamble: one lucky guy/gal wins a copy of their very own book from Borges’ never-before-seen Library of Babel! *swoon*
$1,200 pays for our set design costs
$1,600 pays for our set design costs and gives our performing artists a stipend so they don’t have to work for free
$2,000 pays for our set design costs, gives our performing artists a stipend, and gets us a premier venue near BART!
STANZA lies somewhere at the intersection of poetry and immersive theatre. There is no stage. No set order. No assigned seats.
Writers perform series of evocative poems simultaneously in separate rooms. You are free to roam the entire building in search of voices.
Enter each room fearlessly: they are designed to throw you head-first into the world of the poem.