- This event has passed.
The American Welfare State in the Age of Trump
January 30 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pmFree – $10
What are some of the current challenges to maintaining social welfare programs for the nation’s most vulnerable people in the Trump era?
Tina Sacks is assistant professor at UC Berkeley’s School of Social Welfare. Her fields of interest include racial disparities in health; social determinants of health; race, class and gender; and poverty and inequality. Prior to joining Berkeley Social Welfare, Dr. Sacks spent nearly a decade in federal service at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and has also served as legislative director at the Baltimore City Health Department as well as executive director of the Illinois Association of Free and Charitable Clinics.
Free to current OLLI @Berkeley members and UC Berkeley faculty, staff, and students; $10 general admission.
- January 30
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
- Free – $10
- Event Category:
- East Bay
- Olli Berkeley
- EastWest StoryfestEth-Noh-Tec, a kinetic story theater organized by artists Nancy Wang and Robert Kikuchi-Yngojo, presents a night of storytelling from near and far: Karin Amano, from Mt. Airy, GA; Linda Yemoto, from Berkeley, CA; Anne Shimojima, from Lorton Grove, IL; Motoko, from Amherst, CA; Kiran Rana, from Alameda, CA; and Archy Arch J (Archy Jamjun), from […]
- Sarah Rose Etter with Trisha Low & Tommy PicoSarah Rose Etter ("Tongue Party") celebrates her anticipated debut novel "The Book of X" with a launch party featuring poets Trisha Low and Tommy Pico. The book follows Cassie, a girl born with her stomach twisted in the shape of a knot, from childhood on the family meat farm to a desk job in the […]
- M. the Heir ApparentIn 2015, after Berkeley-based songwriter Kyle Terrizzi immersed himself in the I Ching, which he stumbled on in a used bookstore, he was inspired to abandon his previous work (The Plastic Arts) to launch a new creative life as M. the Heir Apparent. Drawing comparisons to Ed Sheeran and Jeff Buckley, the literary musician is […]
- Brandon R. BrownProfessor of Physics at USF Brandon R. Brown presents his new book "The Apollo Chronicles: Engineering America's First Moon Missions" (Oxford University Press), which follows a handful of engineers of that time as they recount the largely behind-the-scenes work they did to take mankind to the moon. Himself a son of an Apollo engineer, Brown […]
- Peg Alford Pursell w/Caille Millner & SugartownAuthor of "Show Her a Flower, A Bird, A Shadow," Peg Alford Pursell launches her anticipated second book, "A Girl Goes Into the Forest," which explores and illuminates love and loss in 78 hybrid stories and fables. Caille Millner ("The Golden Road: Notes on My Gentrification") joins Peg in conversation, and the event will be […]