Browse: Home / cocoanut grove
- InsideStoryTimeCurated by fiction writer James Warner ("All Her Father's Guns"), InsideStoryTime celebrates 10 years of intimate monthly readings that have spanned numerous San Francisco venues and survived a constantly changing literary climate. Featuring Gary Turchin ("Falling Home"), Tomas Moniz ("Bellies and Buffalos"), Rajshree Chauhan and surprise special guests.
- St. Marys 20th Anniversary Scholarship Fund GalaCelebrating 20 years of its much-lauded MFA in Creative Writing program, St. Mary's College hosts an evening of literary toasts by Daniel Handler, Robert Hass, Cristina Garcia, Yiyun Li, Joyce Carol Oates and Al Young. Hosted by poet and faculty director Matthew Zapruder, the evening includes wine, hors d'oeuvres, music and a raffle. All proceeds […]
- Holloway Series: Simone WhiteUC Berkeley's Holloway series presents Brooklyn-based poet Simone White, author of the full-length collection "House Envy of All the World" and the chapbooks "Unrest" and "Dolly." White is project manager of The Poetry Project at St. Mark's Church-in-the-Bowery, where she first served as Monday Night Readings coordinator. Her new collection is "Of Being Dispersed" (Futurepoem).
- Alvaro EnrigueThe Center for the Art of Translation presents New York-based Mexican writer Alvaro Enrigue, whose "Sudden Death" was recently translated into English by Natasha Wimmer; this is the first English translation of the author's six books, the first of which, "La muerte de un instalador (Death of an Installation Artist)" (1996) won the prestigious Joaquin […]
- Nayomi MunaweeraOakland-based Nayomi Munaweera's debut novel "Island of a Thousand Mirrors" (2014) won the Commonwealth Regional Prize for Asia; "Publishers Weekly" called it "worthy of shelving alongside her countryman Michael Ondaatje or her fellow writer of the multigenerational immigrant experience Jhumpa Lahiri." She reads from and discusses her anticipated second novel, "What Lies Between Us."
- Jarett KobekKobek's latest book is "I Hate the Internet: A Useful Novel Against Men, Money, and the Filth of Instagram," an irreverent analysis of the internet's pervasive effects on capitalist culture and, specifically, on 2013 San Francisco. An absurd blend of hilarity and outrage, Kobek's novel is such a lucid portrait of the current American moment […]
- Writers With DrinksFans of this longstanding monthly literary variety night know that host Charlie Jane Anders is a master at blending sci-fi with politics, poetry and pop culture, and that her introductions to the artists are often as literary as the performances. This month's show is also a launch for Anders' novel "All the Birds in the […]
- Story Hour: Anthony MarraMarra's first novel, "A Constellation of Vital Phenomena," won the National Book Critics Circle's first John Leonard Prize and was longlisted for the National Book Award. "The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories" came out last year. Marra was a Stegner Fellow at Stanford University, where he now teaches as the Jones Lecturer in Fiction.