Featured Event: Saturday, July 30th – Bay Area Poetry Marathon
Marathon is right. What used to be a weekend-long event in Boston has transformed into a momentous event in the Bay. With brief author introductions and a loooooong reading, this edition of The Bay Area Poetry Marathon features a wonderful lineup of up-and-coming and experimental authors, including Maxine Chernoff, Kevin Killian, and Dean Rader. For more information, read this profile or check out this review of their last show.
Also this Week:
- You could win 50 bucks just for telling a story about your bad behavior at Porchlight‘s Open Door on Monday, July 25th. This is the last Porchlight event of the season, so enjoy the debauchery while you can. (Note: In case 50 bucks doesn’t entice you, you should also know that everyone who signs up to tell a story gets a drink ticket.) Not in the mood to divulge? Head to Green Apple to peruse the shelves before enjoying A Night of Poetry with Troy Jollimore and Anthony Carelli.
- Take some time off on Tuesday and Wednesday. Go outside—write a poem.
- Enjoy that break, too, because you’re going to run into Thursday July 28th all over the city; it’s everywhere. Over in the Haight, Emma Straub will be reading from her first collection of short stories, Other People We Married at The Booksmith. If you’re planning on being in the Mission, check out Kaleidoscope’s features Suzy Huerta Moran, Cleavon Smith, Kenji Liu, Indigo Erikson, Jose Hernandez Diaz and Roger Porter. Or, spend some time at Fort Mason, and stay a while to check out Aja Duncan and Genny Lim—this week’s features at Thursdays at Readers. Want a reading series minus the reading? Confused by what this might mean? The Civic Center/Loin area understands and has your answer (as you knew it must): Opium Magazine’s Literary Drinkery. Drink up. Talk to each other!
- New York Times bestselling author, Christopher Moore, and award winning screenwriter and director Ian Corson have teamed up to bring you The Griff: A Graphic Novel about a motley crew of humans and their mission to save the world from a hostile alien invasion. Can they save humanity? Pick up the book at the reading this Friday, July 29th at The Booksmith, and find out.
- Damn, Saturday, July 30th is looking gooooood. In addition to our featured event, Out of Our magazine will be celebrating the release of Volume 11 with readings by Jack Hirschman, Jennifer Barone, Ginger Murray, Steven Gray, Annie Knopfler, Jimmy Mankind, Cara Vida, and Chris Cole. The quarterly Tenderloin Reading Series bids a sad farewell to Koko Cocktails with performances by William Taylor Jr., Meg Day , Michael Warren Grant, Julie Michelle, Joel Landfield, and…you? In between the features, show some love and gratitude for Koko by signing up to share a story, poem, song, etc. related to the much-loved joint. To make it even harder to decide what to do, the folks at Bitchez Brew are hosting their eighth show, The Magic Eight Brew with features Kathleen Wood, Maw Shein Win, James Warner, Siamak Vossoughi, Janey Smith, Colleen McKee, and Nicholas Karavatos.
- Finish off the week (and month!) right with Guinevere Q’s Variety Show on Sunday, July 31st.