- This event has passed.
Virtual Class: Mock Caldecott (via Zoom)
January 24, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm PST$20
What is a Mock Caldecott?
The Caldecott Medal is the most important award given to illustrated children’s books, presented each year by the American Library Association. This afternoon of discussion (held in small groups in Zoom breakout rooms) will cover the criteria by which the Caldecott committee judges books for this prestigious award, and offers a fun, hands-on experience as we discuss and vote on some of the year’s best illustrated books.
SPACE IS LIMITED TO 24 PEOPLE • PLEASE NOTE THIS EVENT IS FOR ADULTS
Attendees must complete the reading ahead of time. The reading list is:
- The Bear and the Moon (Cátia Chien)
- The Blue House (Phoebe Wahl)
- Exquisite: The Poetry and Life of Gwendolyn Brooks (Cozbi A. Cabrera)
- The Farmer and the Monkey (Marla Frazee)
- In the City (Chris Raschka)
- In the Half Room (Carson Ellis)
- Julián at the Wedding (Jessica Love)
- The Little Mermaid (Jerry Pinkney)
- My Best Friend (Jillian Tamaki)
- Prairie Days (Micha Archer)
- ¡VAMOS! Let’s Go Eat (Raúl the Third)
- You Matter (Christian Robinson)
- ALSO READ: The Caldecott Terms and Criteria
All books will be available for purchase at Book Passage.
Melissa Manlove is a Senior Editor at Chronicle Books in San Francisco. She has been with Chronicle for 16 years. Her acquisitions encompass picture books, chapter books, nonfiction, graphic novels, and novels in verse. When acquiring, she looks for fresh takes on familiar topics as well as the new and unusual. An effective approach and strong, graceful writing are important to her. She has 20 years of children’s bookselling experience.