Writing Into The Extraordinary: Generating Text for Devised Theater
January 10, 2024 @ 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm PST$60 – $200
A 4-hour workshop facilitated by Brian Thorstenson, part of Detour Dance’s Winter 2024 Intensive Series.
ABOUT THE “WRITING INTO THE EXTRAORDINARY” WORKSHOP
Delve into the written world of devised theater, where collaborative creativity replaces traditional scripts. Develop essential skills to craft and weave narratives that ignite a new dimension of storytelling. Participants will be guided through dynamic exercises and prompts in order to understand the construction of compelling and resonant narratives, providing you with a strong foundation in generating text for ensemble-devised performance.
ABOUT DETOUR’S WINTER 2024 INTENSIVE SERIES
* Participants will be immersed in Detour Dance’s approach to devised theater, experiential work, and drag artistry;
* Each workshop is facilitated by Detour collaborators, offering unique vantage points into the company’s creative process;
* These workshops are geared towards advanced, pre-professional, and professional level dance & theater artists;
* Detour is offering sliding-scale tuition for each workshop;
* All workshop venues are ADA accessible and have gender-neutral restrooms;
* Masks are optional, not required;
* If you have any access needs that you would like to share with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT BRIAN THORSTENSON
Brian Thorstenson is a San Francisco based writer, teacher. His last series of projects included Dearly Gathered with choreographers Rowena Richie, Christy Funsch and Chris Black, Fugue and We Build Houses Here with Detour Dance and Wakefield with 6NewPlays. He is a Senior Lecturer in Playwriting/Devised Theater at Santa Clara University and has an MFA in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University.